Fury stops Chisora to retain WBC heavyweight title

Tyson Fury claimed the 23rd knockout of his career

Tyson Fury retained his WBC world heavyweight title with a brutal stoppage of Derek Chisora to set up an undisputed bout with Oleksandr Usyk.

Fury, 34, maintained his unbeaten record in front of 60,000 people at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.

Fellow Briton Chisora, 38, was hurt repeatably by the dominant champion and the referee waved off the one-sided contest in the 10th round.

Usyk, holder of the IBF, IBO, WBO and WBA belts, was ringside in London.

For Chisora, it was the 13th loss of his 46-fight career.

Earlier this week, the pair shook hands and promised to stand toe-to-toe in the opening three minutes with Chisora promising “the best first round the heavyweight game has ever seen”.

And, in front of an incredible atmosphere – despite the cold conditions at an outdoor December night event in London – the two fighters tried to provide the entertainment they had promised.

But the fight did prove a mismatch as Fury was a level above his opponent and can now look forward to a potential undisputed heavyweight showdown with Ukrainian Usyk in 2023.

Fury had beaten Chisora in a wide points victory in 2011 when they fought for the British and Commonwealth titles and again three years later when Chisora was retired by his corner at the end of the 10th round in a contest for the British and European belts.

There were hopes Chisora could produce a career-defining performance and defy the bookmakers, who had dismissed him as a 14-1 outsider.

However, by the second round it became clear this fight was going to go the way of their first two meetings.

Chisora tried to force Fury back onto the ropes early on, with a number of punches to the body, but Fury landed a huge overhand right soon after and started to land at will from range.

A Fury left hook in the second rocked back Chisora and he ended the round in the corner and in trouble.

In the third, both men ended up in a heap on the floor as they lost balance, but it did not matter as Fury took complete control.

Chisora, as he has done throughout his 15-year career, gave it everything but was simply outclassed by Fury, whose shot selection, power and ability helped him pick off the rounds with relative ease.

Two solid right hooks landed in the sixth and in the seventh as Chisora continued to take a lot of punishment – and the only question was if he could land a wonder shot of his own.

He could not and a bad cut developed around his eye in the ninth, before a brutal Fury uppercut in the following round marked the beginning of the end.

Dubois survives huge scare to retain WBA (regular) belt

Daniel Dubois on the canvas
Daniel Dubois was down three times in the first round

Earlier, Britain’s Daniel Dubois survived a huge scare, coming back after being knocked down three times in the first round to beat South Africa’s Kevin Lerena and retain his WBA (regular) heavyweight belt.

The 25-year-old was facing a second defeat of his career and also suffered what appeared to be a knee injury in a horrendous opening three minutes.

However, after regaining his composure in the second, Dubois, who has gained 18 of his 19 victories inside the distance, caught Lerena in the third, sending him to the canvas.

Lerena got up, but it was the signal for a barrage of punches from Dubois as the home favourite sensed this was his moment.

A truly brilliant uppercut – which drew gasps from the fans when replayed on the stadium’s four big screens – rocked Lerena’s head back and the South African was on the verge of going down again when referee Howard Foster moved in to stop it.

A loss for Dubois would not only have seen him lose his WBA regular belt, but end his hopes of fighting Usyk in the future.

It was a superb recovery as he showed great character to turn this fight around in such dramatic style.

“It was amazing. He caught me on the top of my head. I feel my knee went,” Dubois told BT Sport Box Office.

“But I have the heart of a warrior, and I just thought, calm down.

“I was looking for shots that weren’t there, I had to recover and come back out. I saw the opening, went for it and the rest is history.

“I felt a bit rusty, like I wasn’t there in the first round, but at least I was able to land my shots.

“I’ve never boxed in front of as many people, hopefully many more to come.”


Related Articles


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Stay Connected

- Advertisement -spot_img

Latest Articles