Officers identify person fatally shot near Chiefs victory parade: What you need to know

Kansas City Police Chief Stacey Graves provided the most extensive update Thursday, some 24 hours after gunfire erupted in downtown Kansas City shortly after the Chiefs’ Super Bowl Victory Parade ended.

Graves said a total of 23 people were shot near Union Station and one person died. That deceased person was identified as Lisa Lopez-Galvan — a mother of two, diehard Chiefs fan and popular DJ and radio host at KKFI’s 90.1 FM. She was 43.

“We are still learning about her, but know she is loved by many,” Graves said at a news conference. “To her family and friends: We stand with you and we are working tirelessly to investigate her murder.”

Graves also shared that a preliminary investigation found there was no connection to terrorism or violent extremism. The mass shooting, Graves said, stemmed from an apparent dispute between several people that ended in gunfire.

The 22 other shooting victims range in age from 8 to 47 years old, and at least half of the victims are under the age of 16. The investigation, which is active and ongoing, has resulted in three individuals in custody to date. Two of the three people are minors, according to officials. Officials also said police recovered several firearms.

As previously reported, a dozen people were transported to Children’s Mercy Hospital, including 11 children, nine of whom were treated for gunshot wounds. A hospital official later said those treated at Children’s Mercy are expected to make a full recovery.

Chaos ensued after shots were fired west of Union Station and moments after the parade and rally ended. Kansas City Mayor Quinton Lucas said Wednesday that he and his family — along with Chiefs players, their spouses and team staff — were among hundreds who “ran in fear for their lives.”


Video and images show people running for cover as chaos descends around Union Station, the site where the Chiefs held their rally after completing a parade that slowly wound through downtown.

Moments after the shooting, Patrick Mahomes tweeted, “Praying for Kansas City.” Also Chiefs linebacker Drue Tranquill tweeted“Please join me in praying for all the victims of this heinous act. Pray that doctors and first responders will have steady hands and that all will experience complete healing.”

Rick Burkholder, the Chiefs’ vice president of sports medicine and performance, also tweeted that he and his wife “are safely on a bus with Coach Reid and his family heading to Arrowhead.” [Stadium].”

The Chiefs later released a statement addressing the tragic events.

“We are truly saddened by the senseless act of violence that occurred outside Union Station at the end of today’s parade and rally,” the statement said. “Our hearts go out to the victims, their families and all of Kansas City. We are in close contact with the mayor’s office and the Kansas City Police Department. At this time we have confirmed that all of our players, coaches, staff and their families are safe and accountable. We thank the local law enforcement and first responders who responded to the scene to assist.”

The Chiefs celebrated their second straight Super Bowl victory after beating the San Francisco 49ers in overtime on Sunday at Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas.

#Officers #identify #person #fatally #shot #Chiefs #victory #parade

Related Articles


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Stay Connected

- Advertisement -spot_img

Latest Articles